Having hobbies and leisure activities are truly important to the Elderly. Not only are hobbies fun, but they can refresh the mind and body; assist one in staying healthy, active and happy. It is a proven fact that spending time doing the things that we enjoy can help delay signs of aging and the pleasure in participating can lead to positive feelings that can help fight against some illnesses.
Hobbies and leisure activities can be beneficial in a variety of ways. Take a look at some of these beneficial factors and examples of hobbies based upon the benefits you would like to reap!!
- Enhance the Immune System: Being active is great for the body in helping to enhance one’s immune system. As a report from Aging Home Health Care states, “Physical activity can help prevent or maintain control in some chronic illnesses such as: heart disease, diabetes arthritis, and even some types of cancer.” Physical activity done over a consistent period can also help in improve overall quality of life and assist in longevity. Examples: Exercising, playing games, horseshoes, golf, bike riding, or basketball. (All sports can be altered for different levels of physical function abilities)
- Improve Flexibility: Moving can assist in stretching muscles and in turn improve flexibility. Try doing some active hobbies such as these to get moving. Examples: Wii Games, walking, Yoga, stretching, swimming, painting, Tai Chi or dancing.
- Improve Memory: Many hobbies will challenge your mental abilities and enhance your problem solving skills. Most hobbies also offer mental stimulation in reference to completing the task. Examples: Word searches, Crossword Puzzles, Brain games, Soduko, or Card games.
- Reduce stress: Most people pursue hobbies because they enjoy them, and many things that we enjoy doing help relieve stress in our lives. Some of these ideas may also help create a calm atmosphere to reduce stress. Examples: Cooking or baking, gardening, taking a walk, singing, reading, or playing a musical instrument.
- Improve self esteem: Some hobbies even involve other people which can create social opportunities and improve self esteem! Examples: Card games, board games, shopping, knitting, or scrapbooking.
- Better Quality Sleep: Being more active during the day helps create a more restful night’s sleep. Just be sure to do more active hobbies earlier in the day so you can be sure to have enough time to wind down before bed.
Who knew that having fun could have so many great benefits in life? So remember side hobbies are important!!